within-word coding in Mandarin transcripts

Brian Macwhinney macw at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Oct 23 16:14:07 UTC 2021

Dear Peitzu,
    There are two ways to do this.  If you just want to do this occasionally for one or two words, you can use the form
↫g↫gou3 [: 狗]
then MOR will ignore the ↫g↫gou3 and only make use of 狗.
     Alternatively, if you want to study phonology systematically, you can create a complete %pho tier.
     Your example also makes the important point that the systematic coding of disfluencies faces some challenges in Chinese and other languages with whole-character coding.  I see that you are using disfluency coding for the repetition of the initial consonant.  If you wanted to study this extensively, it might almost be best to create a secondary %ort line that would be the basis of a complete Pinyin transcription.

— Brian MacWhinney