how to find number of codeswitches per utterance

Brian Macwhinney macw at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Oct 28 00:44:24 UTC 2021

Dear Marissa,
     Good question.  You are right that KWAL will only pull out utterances with code switches without counting them.  To count them, you can take the output of KWAL and then use FREQ with the +s switch, as in
freq +s”*@s*” *.cha
There are various combinations possible here.  I see you are excluding the English utterances in your KWAL command by using -s”[- eng]” and that makes sense if you want to focus on code-switching to English in utterances that are primarily Spanish.

— Brian MacWhinney