how to find number of codeswitches per utterance

Marissa Castellana macaste8 at asu.edu
Thu Oct 28 00:24:53 UTC 2021

Hello,

I am working with bilingual English-Spanish transcripts. I am looking to
find the number of within-utterance code-switches. I created a kwal file
from my original .cha files, using the following code kwal -s"[- eng]"
+s*@s* @ +o% -d +f, which produced a kwal file of utterances that contain
code-switching. *How can I find the number of code-switches that occur in
each utterance?* For example, it is possible that an utterance contains one
codeswitch "did you see the carro at s?", but it is also possible that there
are two or more cases of codeswitching, such as "did you see the carro at s
that passed by so rapido at s?"

Thank you very much!
Best,
Marissa