Thematic unit and code-switch codes

Ran Li rli92 at bu.edu
Mon Sep 13 15:28:10 UTC 2021

Hello,

I'm trying to analyze some discourse data for bilingual patients with
aphasia, and here're two specific code-related questions:

1) When the frequency of thematic units is calculated ("@e:tu"), CLAN
doesn't pick up those following a phonological paraphasia, e.g., irl at e:tu
for the target *girl*. Is there a way to make CLAN to recognize these codes?

2) Specifically for bilingual patients, I've been using "@s" to code
cross-linguistic errors. But in cases where the response has a phonological
error (e.g., target language is English, patient's response is in Chinese:
bao at s for [pao] - means *running* in Chinese): (a) how should I code the
thematic unit? and (b) can I use replacement [: ] so that MOR can process
it as a real word? If so, should I replace it with the word in the target
or the non-target language?

Thank you,
Ran