Mark a word as unnecessary

Brian Macwhinney macw at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Sep 15 19:24:56 UTC 2021

Matteo,
      It is surprising that we hadn’t already developed a code specifically for this.  However, it is easy to add a special form marker for this purpose.  User-defined special form markers begin with the letter “z”.  It could be @z:ex for extraneous or whatever you wish.  Page 47 of the CHAT manual describes this and says, "User-defined special forms can be marked with @z, followed by up to five letters of a user-defined code, such as in word at z:rftd. MOR will ignore or "skip" the user code and process the word.”

*CHI:	I went to at z:ex swimming to the at z:ex Spain.

If however, you want MOR to really ignore the word, you could have

*CHI:	I went &to_ex swimming to &the_ex Spain.

Because MOR ignores non-words beginning with &.

— Brian MacWhinney