calculating subject-verb diversity in CLAN

Risa Stiegler rstiegle at purdue.edu
Mon Oct 9 19:19:12 UTC 2023

Hello!

I am trying to calculate the number of unique subject-verb combinations
(the subject verb diversity) in a child's speech.

I'm able to use combo to find each instance of a child's utterance that has
a subject and a verb (or participle):

combo +t*CHI +d7 +sg|SUBJ^*^m|part+m|v +g6 *.cha

I have 2 questions:
1) how can I exclude utterances that are marked with $RT on the %spa tier?
(In order to exclude sentences where the child is directly imitating adult
speech.)

2) Is there a way to take the output of this combo command and create a
list of *just* the subject-verb combinations and their frequencies?  The
combo command outputs the main, mor, and gra tiers, and marks the subject
and verb:
*CHI: a baby is swimming .
%mor⇔%gra: det:art|a⇔1|2|DET (1)n|baby⇔2|4|SUBJ aux|be&3s⇔3|4|AUX
(1)part|swim-presp⇔4|0|ROOT .⇔5|4|PUNCT

It would be great if CLAN could go through and pull "baby swim" instead of
having a human do it.

I saw in the 2023 CHILDES update that you are working on calculating SVD
automatically, so if there is a better way to do it than what I've come up
with I would love to hear it!

Thank you so much!
Risa Stiegler