A way to link self-interruptions and self-completions?

Brian Macwhinney macw at cmu.edu
Thu Sep 7 20:56:06 UTC 2023

Dear Figen,
    Self-interruptions of this type (what Kuteva and Heine call “theticals”) are interesting.  However, trying to capture all of this in a transcription system is not going to be easy.  Wouldn’t it perhaps be just as good to transcribe this as one long sentence, perhaps with a marker for  the thetical, as in:

*CHI:  after a walk in the forest <by the way there is a river nearby> [//] they went to the riverside.

If your goal is to exclude the thetical from things like MOR analysis or MLU counting, this would work.  Use of the [//] marker here is a bit of a stretch and I guess we could add another type of marker such as [/+] to CHAT to mark theticals.

—Brian MacWhinney