A way to link self-interruptions and self-completions?

Figen Karaca figenkaracauz at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 22:05:22 UTC 2023

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your swift response and for introducing me to the terminology
of theticals!
You are right, using the retracing symbol [//] would definitely help
linking the first and the third utterances together. However, by doing
this, I think I cannot achieve my ultimate goal which is to link the first
and the third utterances while keeping the second utterance (due to
retraced material not being included in the MLU or FREQ calculations, for
instance). Perhaps, as you suggested, adding another type of marker to CHAT
to mark theticals would help.

Best,
Figen