The Jargon Workshop

Tue Aug 18 17:46:18 UTC 1998

LhaXa(u)yem...

With a good number of folks just joining this group, it's probably time =
make sure everyone knows about the gathering coming up.  The first-ever
Chinook Jargon Workshop, or conference if you like, is happening at St.
Mary's in Mission, British Columbia from September 18 - 20 coming up. =20

Let me ask Jim Holton or Mike Cleven to post a message with info about
costs (very very low!), facilities available, and how to register.  There
are also websites you can go to for more information.

I do know that several of us are confirmed and definitely planning to be
there.  Last I heard, this includes native, linguist, website operator,
and "civilian" students of the language. =20

There will be various activities, centering on teaching and learning
to speak the Chinuk Wawa.  You'll be pleasantly surprised by how fluent
you become by the end of the weekend, if I'm not mistaken.  (Hey,
newcomers to the list, did you know the language is still spoken around
the Northwest?)

=46or my part, I'm thinking of giving a quick course in "Kamloops Wawa"
shorthand writing ... So you all can read the original Chinook stuff
published up there a hundred-plus years ago.

Again, your ideas for topics for our Saturday night discussion session at
the Workshop are very welcome.  What do you know about the use of the
Jargon in your area?  Do you know any songs using this language, for
example gaming songs or drinking songs?  What attitudes did folks have
toward the Jargon in the past when they knew about it?  If you're a
linguist, have you noticed particular traits of interest in the Jargon?

Just emptied out my mailbox, so it's ready for your replies!

Thanks,
Dave