A peculiarity of the Kamloops Wawa shorthand writing system

Fri Aug 28 02:29:56 UTC 1998

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Zvjezdana  Vrzic wrote:

> 	In fact Le Jeune clearly distinguishes between 'e'
> and 'i'.=20

Oops, Zvjezdana, I've missed that entirely, then!  Do you mean that he
actually used 2 distinct shorthand symbols?  --Or that he distinguished
these vowels in his Roman transliterations?  --Or both?

What I'm seeing in Le Jeune (1924) is a single Duployan symbol being
employed for both the <e> and <i> of his Roman transliterations. =20

True, he consistently writes one or the other of those 2 vowels in his
transliterations.  But when one is reading his Duployan CJ, how can one
determine which vowel is intended?  Bear in mind too that sometimes it's =
schwa that he's marking with this shorthand symbol, whether he
transliterates it as <e> or <i>.

Was this ambiguity a feature of Duployan before LJ applied it to the
Jargon?

As you are acquainted with his shorthand writing system, I'd like to ask
you an additional and related question.  Does it look to you as though he
is writing the vowel symbol twice in succession in e.g. "eit" (meaning
"eight")?

I'm going back to my copies of Le Jeune's stuff to double-check on these
things...  Fascinating stuff to think about.

Thanks for your message!  Hayash mash masi kupa mayga munk ts'em!

Dave

PS -- I am more or less planning to give a short course on the Duployan
shorthand at the September Jargon gathering.  I'd like for the people
interested in the language to be able to read all of the meagre texts =
that
remain to us.  Any suggestions from you would be gratefully accepted; can
you point me to sources from which to get copies of pre-1924 "Kamloops
Wawa"?