Stinky butts

Tue Dec 29 10:15:12 UTC 1998

Lhush san, Kloshe sun, Tlus son,

Hey, Mike, your message about the kids' teasing song from the Shuswap area
fascinated me.  That's one of those amazing little facets of culture that
they don't tell you about in classrooms!  The chant is Salish, though:
The presence of the characteristic suffix -oops / =ups "tail, butt" is a
dead giveaway, and the beginning of the sentence looks like the Salish 2nd
person singular pronoun for "you".  Plus it seems to me that taunting
folks about their butts' stench is a classic NW Indian tease.  It's come
to my attention in Spokane Salish, as well as the Chinook Jargon, where
it's hEm upuc^ / humm opoots as I recall what Tony mentioned once at the
September gathering.   I've asked for more info on the Salishan list...

Cheers,  Dave

  To learn about subscribing to the SALISHAN or CHINOOK jargon discussion
   groups, just reply to this  message.  Support Native language studies!