(fwd) Chinook and placenames

jeffkopp at teleport.com jeffkopp at teleport.com
Tue Oct 20 18:35:54 UTC 1998

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 02:56:11 -0700 (PDT), Luistxo Fernandez
<nabigatzen at jalgi.com> wrote:

Dear friends at Tenas Wawa:
Your page about Chinook Wawa looks impressive. Congratulations and keep =
on
the good work.

This is a Basque friend here, Luistxo, from the site GeoNative. This is a
bilingual amateur site (Basque/English). We have a very particular focus:
minority languages and placenames. It is at:
	http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9479
Our lists regarding Native American languages are indexed here:
	http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9479/na.html

Now, here there is a reference that may interest you: Placenames of the
Wishram-Wasco peoples in their native forms, in the Upper Chinook =
language:
	http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9479/chinook.html

You will see that your website is linked and referenced from there.

Languages and place names from little nations, native cultures and =
minority
languages almost never appear in the maps. Geography ignores us. =
GeoNative
provides listings of placenames for several native and minority =
languages.
=3D46or instance, another language of the Paficic Northwest, Halkomelem, =
of
British Columbia:
	http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9479/halkomelem.html

This resources may interest you, and that is why I send you this note.
Perhaps you can send a note also to the Chinook-Salish mailing-list so
other people can send us more placenames in other languages.

Regarding the Chinook Jargon, we wonder if the places along the coast =
where
this language was spoken had a particular form in that language. For
instance, the Puget Sound, or Columbia River... How were they called in
Chinook Wawa? If you can provide a list of placenames or a reference, we
would be thankful.

Well, just take a look at GeoNative and send us your comments, if you =
like.
Thanks in advance
Best regards
Luistxo

PD. Did you know, that in the other side of the continent, another trade
pidgin language was developed based on Basque and Micmac? It is not
fantasy! Read at our page about creoles and pidgins here:
	http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9479/kreole.html