My reasoning re <shabon>!

Mon Apr 5 04:44:49 UTC 1999

LhaXayEm, khanawi lhaksta.

My sincere thanks to everyone who has sent their reactions to my reasoning
about that mystery etymology.  There are few greater pleasures for me than
this experience of thinking through a problem together.

An anonymous native francophone has suggested that my proposed etymology
sounds very weak, so I'll go back to the drawing board for the time being.
However, for lack of a better alternate, I'm going to hold on to the
etymology <j'abonne>.  Does anyone have a better suggestion?

Reactions from some of you to my interpretations of the Meacham CJ would
also be most welcome.

Best,
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html