<lilly> "little" khapa hayu pIjIn pi kriyol wawa

Thu Apr 15 06:24:42 UTC 1999

LhaXayEm!

Nayka hay nanIch ukuk khapa Magnus Huber ya bUk, "Ghanaian Pidgin English
in its West African Context" (Philadelphia:  Benjamins, 1999), tIpsu
101:

"lilly 'little' this is another item that is found in both Atlantic and
Pacific Pidgins and Creoles.  [Sarah Julianne] Roberts (p.c.) reports that
lili occurs in 19th-century Pidgin Hawaiian texts and derives from the
Hawaiian word li7ili7i 'small'.  In Hawaii, early Pidgin English lilly
thus converged with an indigenous word, which may have favoured the
adoption of lilly into Hawaiian Pidgin English.

Ikta mEsayka tEmtEm khapa ukuk pi ChInuk Wawa /lili/?

[English:  I've just found this...What do you think about this in
connection with ChInuk Wawa /lili/ "a while; a long while; later"?]

Note -- I'll be posting a review of Huber's book on this list soon, thanks
to the generosity of the publishers, who have provided a copy for that
purpose.

Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html