Salal (fwd)

Sat Apr 17 05:15:29 UTC 1999

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 22:14:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: David Robertson <drobert at tincan.org>
To: Brigitte Jacobsen
Subject: Re: Salal

Brigitte, lhaXayEm.  Qhata mayka?

Thanks for your note; I will forward it to my CHINOOK list, and any
replies (I suspect there will be very knowledgeable ones!) will be
forwarded to you by me.  I'm not sure which language gave English the word
"salal", but it must have been a Northwest North American indigenous
tongue, most likely either Chinookan or Salishan.  I know that the ChInuk
Wawa (Chinook Jargon, a contact language which still has a handful of
native speakers in my region) spread the term throughout this area.

When I determine from which language the term originated, I can probably
communicate with a linguist who has worked with the speakers of that
language, and pass along specialized information to you from that source.

At this moment, I can tell you that one of my ChInuk Wawa dictionaries
says that the term for "salal" was /salal ulIli/, literally "salal berry".
The term in Upper Chehalis Salish (/qw'ay'ay'ilhq'/) is totally unrelated,
as is the one in Thompson River Salish (/nlhe7kepmxcin/).  There is no
term for this in Spokane Salish (/npoqinishcn/), because the plant doesn't
grow this far inland.

Best wishes,
Dave Robertson