One more after-dinner mint of a morsel re the "S" word

Sun Apr 18 02:48:33 UTC 1999

LhaXayEm,

The Spokane _Spokesman-Review_ yesterday had a front-page story on a
powwow being held by the Coeur d'Alene Tribe of Idaho in honor of its
oldest member.  She is one hundred years old, and her name is Ann Samuels.
The article quotes her as saying,

	"I was a good horse rider ... A lot of people told me to go to the
	fair in Spokane and race with the Indian women.  They said,
	'You'll be famous.'  I said, 'I don't want to be famous!'  [The
	writer interjects the information that that fairgrounds
	competition was called a squaw race.]  I thought, maybe they call
	us Indian women 'squaw' to make fun of us."

Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html