On Haitian Creole borrowing /plat/ , on reanalysis, etc

Sun Apr 25 15:36:46 UTC 1999

LhaXayEm,

Michel, hayash mersi <grand merci> for your reply.  Your suggestion about
dialectal French having played an important role is a highly appropriate
reminder.  Though the language is not one of my specialties, I ought to
have realized that French wasn't standardized into the variant I'm using
for comparison until perhaps 1800 or later, viz. Slavic languages, whose
history I know better.

I suspect that there will nonetheless remain interesting etymological
problems of the sort I've hinted at.

Can you provide the cite for Chaudenson, for those interested?

Best,
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html