How to learn CJ "back East" circa 1890

Mon Apr 26 05:08:46 UTC 1999

LaXayEm!

lisa hayash tEmtEm pi wik ya-kEmtEks, qhata uk ya-chEp chaku-kEmtEks wawa
chInUk *ilEp khapa* ya-LatEwa khapa qha uk san ya-LatEwa.  Lisa wonders
(but doesn't know), how her ancestor learned CJ *before* heading West.

nayka chxi alta tEmtEm, I was just thinking,

Lush pus na-nanich khapa uk JC Pilling ya-c!Em-pipa, I ought to look at JC
Pilling's paper,

called / "Bibliography of the Chinookan Languages" / ya-nim,

k!iwa yawa mILayt dreht hayash ul chInUk c!Em-pipa Las-nim...because
there, there're quite a lot of titles of old CJ publications listed.

pi alta na-kEmtEks, but now I realize,

Laska kapit khapa uk sno tawsEn stotkIn-tukamonak sInmakwst-taLEm pi
lakEt, pi ilEp khapa ukuk...they're only from the year eighteen-hundred
seventy-four and earlier.

wEXt kakwa, still,

na-tEmtEm tL'unEs ixt-makwst chInUk buk k'o khapa bastEn IlI7i...I suppose
one or two CJ books might have reached the USA...

:-) ...

ilEp khapa uk sno tawsEn stotkIn-tukamonak kw!ayc-taLEm...before
eighteen-and-ninety.

pi tL'unEs wik-hayu Laska...and maybe a few of them...

chaku khapa uk 'pioneers' Las-lima yawa...came into the hands of the
'pioneers' there.

kakwa uk Theodore Winthrop ya-buk, like TW's book,

"knIm pi lasehl" / "The Canoe and the Saddle."

Las-wawa, hayash tIlxam dreht tIki ukuk buk.  They say that book was very
popular.

Laksta kEmtEks?  Who knows?

LaXayEm!
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html