P. Bakker re 3 factors tending against pidgins in N. America (fwd)

Tue Jun 29 22:28:50 UTC 1999

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:09:05 MET

Dear David,
Thank you for the compliment on my book on Michif.
I am not on the list, but a friend forwarded some messages.
Regarding the use of lingua francas in the Northwest, Anthony Grant
and I tried to make an inventory of those - or actually for all of
Canada and Alaska. You can find it in an outrageously expensive book:
S.Wurm et al (eds.) - Atlas of  Languages of Intercultural
communication in teh Pacif, Asia, and the Americas.
Berlin: Mouton De Gruyter. 1996. pp. 1107-1169.
Anthony Grant also wrote on the spread of Chinook Jargon.
I don't think Kuenai was used by other tribes to any extent.

Peter Bakker