How to learn CJ "back East" circa 1890

Lisa Peppan lisapeppan at JUNO.COM
Thu May 6 00:06:29 UTC 1999

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999  David Robertson <drobert at tincan.tincan.org> writes:

>LaXayEm!

Klahowya.

>Lisa wonders (but doesn't know), how her ancestor learned CJ *before*
heading West.

Mika mitlite delate.  You are correct.

>nayka chxi alta tEmtEm, I was just thinking,

Ahha...  Yes....

>pi alta na-kEmtEks, but now I realize, Laska kapit khapa uk sno tawsEn
stotkIn-tukamonak sInmakwst->taLEm pi lakEt, pi ilEp khapa ukuk...they're
only from the year eighteen-hundred seventy-four and >earlier.  wEXt
kakwa, still,

Stotekin-tukamonuk sinamokst-tahtlum pe lakit, pi elip kapa ukuk mitlite
mamook ikpooie kopet kopa stone pe killapi.  Eighteen-hundred
seventy-four and earlier is close enough for rock and roll.

>na-tEmtEm tL'unEs ixt-makwst chInUk buk k'o khapa bastEn IlI7i...I
suppose one or two CJ books >might have reached the USA... :-) ... ilEp
khapa uk sno tawsEn stotkIn-tukamonak kw!ayc->taLEm...before
eighteen-and-ninety.

Kah mamook ikt-mokst chinuk buk?  King Chautsh Illahee?  Where were these
one or two CJ books made?  England?

>kakwa uk Theodore Winthrop ya-buk, like TW's book, "knIm pi lasehl" /
"The Canoe and the Saddle."   >Las-wawa, hayash tIlxam dreht tIki ukuk
buk.  They say that book was very popular.

Nika wawa nika naha ... pe nanitch yaka milite "Canim pe Lasell"  I'll
ask Mom ... or see if she has "The Canoie and Saddle"

>Laksta kEmtEks?  Who knows?

Kopet Ikt tenas-polaklie-keekwullie-kopa-sitkum-sun kumtux.   |>

Klahowya

Lisa