last week's quiz answers

Mon May 10 07:03:27 UTC 1999

The person speaking was Sluiskin, who lived with his family near Mount
Rainier, and he was referring to Washington Territorial Governor Isaac
Ingalls Stevens.

There's no good reason to omit "goddam" and other profanities from your
Chinook Jargon dictionaries.  These words were a part of the lingo, so
start writing bad words in your Gibbs and Shaw editions.  Update your
websites accordingly, you cultus bastards.  ;-)

The Mika Nika Club was a benevolent association (maybe it still exists) in
British Columbia which I am led to believe fostered contacts between
Indian and White neighbors.

New York Alki was the first name of the village of Seattle.

For this week's quiz, please see the message I've just sent out to the
list.    And now I'll make a clatter away.  Bonus quiz points for
explaining that joke!...

Klahowya, klahowya, klahowya, klahowya, klahowya, klahowya
(Would Joel Palmer say it as "Klahowya taghum"?)  :-)  Extra quiz points
times two if you can explain that joke!

Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN &
neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html