"King" salmon and others, in light of CJ

Sun May 23 01:56:31 UTC 1999

LaXayEm / klahowya,

Hey, who can tell me whether it was Chinook Jargon that made people call a
certain type of Pacific salmon "king"?

I know that there's also the term "tyee" salmon, and it's a fair bet that
that became known in NW English as the king salmon, enit?

There are authorities who have claimed that "chum" salmon is so called as
a result of borrowing the CJ word c!Em / tzum "colored, marked, spotted,
mottled" into English.

And "sockeye" and "coho" are NW Indian words, from Salishan.  "Steelhead"
I don't know about.

Maybe someday I will know; as I heard a young boy say today downtown,
"Maybe in the space age ... they'll be able to read books without taking
them from the library!"

Best wishes,
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html