"Lillooet Stories" told by Charlie Mack, Baptiste Ritchie, et al.

Sat May 22 23:04:55 UTC 1999

(Ed. by Randy Bouchard and Dorothy Kennedy..."Sound Heritage", vol. VI,
no. 1, Victoria, BC, 1977.)

p. 28:  "The Whale in Anderson Lake" story has the word <Wo-NEESH>
	"floaters" being misunderstood by the whale as <Qua-NEESH>
	"whale".  Note that this Salish term for "whale" wound up in
	Chinook Jargon usually in the pronunciation <kwadis>.

p. 37 ff:	"Chasing the Souls of the Dead" story features a shaman
	named In-kee-YOOSH-kin from D'Arcy at the south end of Anderson
	Lake, as well as Cayoosh Creek.  The terms look to be related, if
	I may speak as a non-expert in Lillooet Salish, and to have no
	connection with the Chinook Jargon term "cayuse".  I'm not finding
	it now, but I believe I read in this same book about another Place
	called "Cayuse" Creek or Pass or some such.

p. 50: "Hunter Jack and the Chilcotins" narrative tells of this Lillooet
	chief (a.k.a. In-KICK-tee) communicating with enemy Athapaskan-
	speaking Chilcotins using Chinook Jargon, probably in the mid-
	1800's.

p. 61: "The Outlaws" narrative has the following exchange between a White
	judge and a witness:
	-"Cultus Jack, doesn't 'Cultus' mean 'bad'?"
	-"Yes it does."
	-"Why are you called 'bad'?"
	-"When I was young, I used to chase the girls a lot."
	This exchange seems to be about, not in, Chinook Jargon.

Incidentally, this year's Salish and Neighboring Languages Conference is
to be held in Mt. Currie, BC, in Lillooet country.

Best,
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html