(fwd) Question...name of "Hat" Island

Sun May 2 03:48:22 UTC 1999

LhaXayEm,

I didn't know anyone called it Gedney Island nowadays!  Good crabbing
between there and Camano Island.

The native name mentioned looks quite Salish to me.  Try checking the
Lushootseed Dictionary of Hilbert/Hess/Bates, for your best bet to find
the proper spelling and meaning.  If the name isn't from DxwlEshucid, I'll
eat my hat.  :-)

Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html