Jargon Web mail

Lisa Peppan lisapeppan at JUNO.COM
Sun Nov 14 20:38:27 UTC 1999

>Hello,

>During a recent trip to Fort Columbia on the Columbia River I found
displayed >upstairs, a copy of "Dictionary of the Chinook Jargon or
Indian Trade Language , >T.G. Lowe, Publishers and Stationers.  1873,
Printed at Courier Job Rooms, >Olympia, Washington Territory.  Is this
one that you have?  I asked if it would be >possible to copy it but the
caretaker did not know and referred us to the director >at Fort Canby. He
apparently is in charge of both forts.

>My family and I are volunteers at Fort Nisqually in Tacoma and have
become >interested in the Chinook Jargon.  Do you think you would be
interested in trying >to get a copy of this booklet for your collection?
Would it be a better idea to ask >the fort museum curator to inquire?

>Thank you,

I don't know about the above book, but on the page with the copyright
info in my copy of the Edward Harper Thomas Chinook: A History and
Dictionary, it shows that Binsfords & Mort, Publishers (Portland Oregon
97242) renewed their copyright in 1970.  Though I did not get my copy
from them, I did get it through a rare book finder.

A rare book finder might be one option for the above question askers.  I
also know of a mailing list that devotes itself to locating books for its
listers; I can check into that if you think that might be helpful (was
told about it at a party last month).

Just my 2 cents worth

Lisa
IBSSG