The new server; I finally "got" it

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at USWEST.NET
Tue Nov 23 01:14:03 UTC 1999

Klahowya tillikums kopa e-tzum wayhut!

I think I finally figured out what's going on with the server change.
I had been posting for some time to CHINOOK at LINGUIST.LDC.UPENN.EDU;
whether this was the right way or not, it worked until the recent
server change.  Messages sent there now will bounce, and need to go
to CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG instead, which is the
destination address you now see on messages coming from the list.
Perhaps everyone else has already been posting to that address whilst
I remained unawares.

Server commands should now go to the apparently redundant address of
LISTSERV at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG. (For example, if you want to see
copies of your own posts to the list, send a message containing SET
CHINOOK REP as the text to that address.)  I got a response from
there today.  (I pulled a REV and see that we now have 80
subscribers!)

(I think--but am not sure--the list is now handled by a list server
at UMICH, but I found that commands sent to the server there don't
work for this list.  A couple messages did make it through to the
list bearing that address a week or so ago, which might have added to
my confusion.)

Forgive me if this is old news, but it seems I got disoriented
somewhere along the way, as I just changed my own email address as
well.

Now, on with the new millennium!

Regards,

Jeff