More ads using Chinook Jargon ("N. Amer. Ind. 1926 Yrbk.")

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Sat Oct 23 07:42:52 UTC 1999

At 11:01 AM 10/22/99 -0700, C. Thrush wrote:
>Isn't sa-pul-a related to sEplEl, the Lushootseed word for bread and
>flour?
>
>Also, I must have missed the original posting.  What is the source for
>these ads?  I'd love to use Seattle counterparts in my dissertation.

The 'usual' Jargon etymology is supposedly from French - s* [rye?] +
pollalie, which supposedly comes from poudre or another French word for
grain; I've never been quite happy with the sound of that.  But where would
Lushootseed speakers have evolved a word for flour and bread, since these
are imported products (or were originally) in the trade period when the
word emerged.