More ads using Chinook Jargon ("N. Amer. Ind. 1926 Yrbk.")

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Sun Oct 24 00:38:28 UTC 1999

At 03:32 PM 10/23/99 PDT, you wrote:
>>From: Mike Cleven <ironmtn at bigfoot.com>
>>Subject: Re: More ads using Chinook Jargon ("N. Amer. Ind. 1926 Yrbk.")
>>Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 00:42:52 -0700
>>Comments: To: "C. Thrush" <ishriver at U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
>>
>>At 11:01 AM 10/22/99 -0700, C. Thrush wrote:
>> >Isn't sa-pul-a related to sEplEl, the Lushootseed word for bread and
>> >flour?
>> >
>> >Also, I must have missed the original posting.  What is the source for
>> >these ads?  I'd love to use Seattle counterparts in my dissertation.
>>
>>The 'usual' Jargon etymology is supposedly from French - s* [rye?] +
>>pollalie, which supposedly comes from poudre or another French word for
>>grain; I've never been quite happy with the sound of that.  But where would
>>Lushootseed speakers have evolved a word for flour and bread, since these
>>are imported products (or were originally) in the trade period when the
>>word emerged.
>
>I've always assumed the Lushootseed word was from the Jargon (*sapolil* in
>the commonest classical CJ orthography), but I agree the usual etymological
>explanation is suspect.
>
>As for "flour, bread" being an imported product, is this true? Or weren't
>various flours and breads made from wapato and/or camas roots indigenous to
>the region? If so, what were the CJ &/or Lushootseed terms for these foods,
>and how did their semantic fields relate to that of "sapolil"/"sEplEl"?

I always thought there was too much of a similarity to sapollalie -
soapberry - which _may_ secondarily be a French-Jargon combination -
savon=>sap/ollalie - ... or else a completely local word.  Among its many
other uses, soapberry was also powdered, wasn't it, and cooked into cakes
(as someone requested a recipe for a while ago; still gotta dig that out).
But flour from wapato and other roots had to have been more common and
useful than that from soapberry, which is more eminently consumable in its
fresher forms (in my opinion) - xoosum (the drink) and "Indian ice cream"
(whipped berries).  I think in the Lillooet Country they sun-dried them and
pressed them into chewy fruitcake thingies; don't know what those are
called, but they're probably REALLY GOOD.  I love xoosum....which is the
St'at'imcets version of "sapollalie"....or is that "sapolallie"?  Never
could figure out where the double 'll' went.....

>I don't think I can post to the lists from where I am, so I'm just sending
>this to the two of you, but if you want to repost it to the lists (either
>Chinook or Salishan), go ahead.

Sure you can; post to the lists, I mean.  I don't think hotmail restricts
the use of listserve addresses in its To: fields.  Just put in the
linguistlist.org address and it should hit home.  There might be a way to
cook up a way to do that off the archive pages of the two lists; so that
members could post through a passworded function on the website.  But
hotmail and any of the other freebie mail services don't restrict listserve
access; not to my knowledge anyway.  I'll only post this into CHINOOK, as
its topic has strayed from any SALISHAN content....