Stab at corrected Chinook version of the Song of the Ring

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Wed Aug 2 08:10:48 UTC 2000

Was hoping for some corrections/comments on this when I cc'd it to
CHINOOK; wound up with a second look myself and figured there were bits
needed fixin'.  One thing bugs me is how to make some kind of genitive
phrase for "of the elven kings" or "of the dwarf lords", i.e. "kings OF
the elves", "lords OF the dwarves"; not kopa, for sure, right?  Is the
final "-s" right in this circumstance, or is there a better way of
saying this concept?  Mostly I buggered up on the pronouns, though.

>Klone kweokweo kopa tsiltsil tillicums hyas tyee, yukwa kukwelee kopa
>saghalie illahee

KLone kweokweo kopa tsiltsil tillicums hyas tyess, klaska [mitlite]
keekwulee kopa saghalie illahee

>Sinamoxt kopa tenas tillicums tyee, kopa stone house yakas

Sinamoxt kopa tenas tillicums tyess, kopa stone house klaskas

Kwaist kopa mans, klaska skookum kumtux memaloose, yaka chako memaloose
laly

Kwaist kopa man, klaska skookum kumtux memaloose, klaska chako mamaloose
alki [winapie, laly, by-by??]

Ikt kopa klale tyee, kopa klale hyas lashase yaka[s]
kopa Mordor illahee kah mitlite hyas [-hyas] polaklie

Ikt kweokweo kopa mamook law kopa konaway klaska [klaska konaway?}
Ikt kweokweo kopa mamook klap kopa konaway klaska [ " ? ]
Ikt kweokweo kopa chako iskum konaway,
    pe kopa polaklie mamook konaway hyas kow [ikt hyas kow? - for
emphasis?]
kopa Mordor illahee kah mitlite [iskum? i.e. instead] hyas [-hyas]
polaklie

or perhaps "kopa Mordor illahee kah yaka mahsh hyas [-hyas] polaklie",
given that it is the power of the Dark One that is the darkness that
dwells in Mordor, and which is embodied in The Ring.  i.e. in Mordor
where he throws/casts great darkness" - throws as in a blanket, or a
spell.  Or should "kah mitlite [or iskum] hyas-hyas polaklie" be better
rendered as "kah mitlite/iskum hyas mesachie tamanass"; "where there is
great evil magic" which is more the direct meaning, if not the literal
one.

*(+(+(+(+(+(+(
[for those who've never read Tolkien, the English translation of the
Dark Tongue's original is:

Song of The Ring

Three rings for the elven kings under the sky
Seven for the dwarf lords in their halls of stone
Nine for mortal men doomed to die
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
in the land of Mordor where the shadows lie

One ring to rule them all, one ring to to find them
One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
in the land of Mordor where the shadows lie

8=8=8=8=8=8

for tolklang, the actual direct word-by-word of my Chinook is

Three ring(s) to star people high chief(s), here below from high country
(heaven)
Seven to little people chief(s), in stone house theirs
Nine for men, they can know death, they come to death one day
One for the black chief, on black great chair his
in Mordor country where is great darkness

One ring for make law over all them
One ring for make find to all them
One ring for come take all (chako iskum = become owned),
    and in darkness make all great tied/bound
in Mordor country where is great darkness