AIPE

Emanuel J. Drechsel drechsel at HAWAII.EDU
Tue Mar 14 01:10:44 UTC 2000

Dear Dave, Sally, and all:

Over the years as I dealt with Mobilian Jargon and other Native American
contact media, I have indeed come to question the status of American Indian
Pidgin English (AIPE) as a true pidgin. I have presented it instead as a
broken English or "an amalgam of partial native-language replacements
(including English relexifications of Native American speech), stereotypical
presentations, and superimposed hypercorrections by Europeans, who took
considerable freedom in documenting Native American speech and perhaps even
drew on widely attested forms of non-Indian Pidgin English as models." Some
telling evidence for the use of AIPE as a literary medium comes from a quote
on Catawba, a native language of southeastern North America, or a medium
based on it: "We have endeavored to put into the Indian-English, as more
suitable to the subject, and more accessible to the reader, that dialogue
which was spoken in the most musical Catawba." (W. Gilmore Simms, _The
Wigwam and the Cabin_ (New York: W.J. Widdleton, 1856 [revised edition], p.
391). I surmise that the authors of documents with AIPE have taken such
poetic license again and again. For further details, see pp. 1222-5 of my
article that David cites below and that appeared in the _Atlas of Languages
of Intercultural Communication in the Pacific, Asia, and the Americas_,
edited by Stephen A. Wurm, Peter Mühlhäusler, and Darrell T. Tryon (Berlin:
Mouton de Gruyter, 1996). Much of the same discussion also appears on pp.
23-28 of my book _Mobilian Jargon: Linguistic and Sociohistorical Aspects of
a Native American Pidgin_ (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1997).
    Such a conclusion is not surprising when one considers the great variety
of Native American languages and contact media based on them that existed in
North America through the 19th century and into the 20th. It is worth
recalling that English as either a contact medium or national language did
not come dominate in North America until the second half of the 19th
century, if not even later. In this light, it appears increasingly unlikely
that until the 20th century, there existed a single, fairly uniform
English-based pidgin spoken by Native Americans from the East Coast to the
West Coast. Yet I draw on another case for analogous argument, the Hawaiian
Islands: Long hailed by creolists as a bastion of English pidgin-creole
speaking since shortly after contact with James Cook in 1778, the Hawaiian
Islands actually did not become so until the late 19th century or the early
20th century. What instead dominated as interethnic medium throughout almost
the entire 19th century was a Hawaiian-based pidgin, which came to be
relexified more and more by English only around the turn of the century
after the American take-over of the Islands. For further documentation, see
Julian M. Roberts, "Pidgin Hawaiian: a Sociohistorical Study" in _Journal of
Pidgin and Creole Languages_ 10: 1-56, 1995.
    With these findings comes an important methodological conclusions: Let's
not project back what applied in recent history into early colonial periods,
when in spite of obvious differences in power the colonizers did not always
dominate native peoples, but the latter played a central role in the
foreigners' survival overseas and often maintained the upper hand much
longer than conventional history teaches us.

Aloha, Manny