A different new newspaper article

Mike Cleven mike_cleven at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 31 08:25:11 UTC 2000

>From: David Robertson <drobert at TINCAN.TINCAN.ORG>
>
>LhaXayEm.
>
>This was found online:  _Kamloops Daily News_, 11 January 1993, page
>A11...art show...Henry Tsang.
>
>I haven't seen the article yet, but it is apparently about an artist who
>created banners in Chinook Jargon (among other languages?) to make a
>statement about "multiculturalism".

Henry Tsang is fairly well-known in the BC art community IIRC; I recall
seeing something about his Kamloops show in one of the Vancouver rags but
didn't see anything about Chinook (I'm hardly likely to drive to Kamloops
for an art show!).  The Kamloops Daily News is on-line, however, and
although that review is probably not on the site any longer I think if you
wrote the editor by email they'd be glad to dig it out.

Interesting you'd put quotes around "multiculturalism"; that's a commonplace
word in Canada, as well as being something of a political/cultural nostrum.
Although H.T.'s invocation of it in his artistic purpose is quite natural in
Canada, it probably also helped get him cultural grants for the work/show
from the feds and province.....sorry to sound so cynical, but it's all too
true that if you want to please the gods you have to know the right
mantras.....

Later

MC