Pidgin flies into orbit

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at USWEST.NET
Thu Oct 12 22:13:39 UTC 2000

http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/space/10/11/russia.space.ap/index.html

Space station crew to speak 'Runglish,' dine on Russian-U.S. cuisine

October 11, 2000 Web posted at: 7:50 PM EDT (2350 GMT)

MOSCOW (AP) -- The crew bound for the International Space Station
later this month said Monday they will communicate in "Runglish," a
mixture of Russian and English, and share a Russian-American cuisine.
. . . .

The crew said they will rely on a mixture of languages and on a mixed
cuisine when they are aboard the international station.

"We say jokingly that we communicate in 'Runglish,' a mixture of
Russian and English languages, so that when we are short of words in
one language we can use the other, because all the crew members speak
both languages well," Krikalyov said.

"The menu will be 'Runglish' too: partly American food and partly
Russian," Shepherd added.

The crews have been training for more than three years . . . .