Huloiuma Lamel Wawa

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Wed Sep 6 03:04:53 UTC 2000

Now, darned if I can't hear/imagine the actor known as Jingles going
"Hi-yu, mule(s)", and not just him, on countless TV and movie
western/country/frontier bits.  I'd never considered it as Jargon (or
rather Jargon-derived) before, as may be the case with "hike, hike,
hike"; not sure what the verbal sense would be - "party down, mules" or
"long way, mules" or "many mules, wake up"; I know it's a reach but it's
striking that there's any lexical sense to it at all (if any of you
agree with my here-juxtaposed subterpretations); again the Oregon Trail
and the various gold rushes strike me as potential confluences between
muleteer lingo and the Jargon-speaking world.  Is there anything like
"hiyu" or "hi-you" etc in Standard American Pidgin English or whatever
it's called, that this might come from instead?

MC M