Anyone out here?

Nadja Adolf nadja at NODE.COM
Wed Sep 20 20:08:27 UTC 2000

Is anyone out here? Or has everyone been scared away by what is
starting to look like a "language war?"

Mike, I chose the term "ahnkuttie" because the use of "high" and "low"
often implies a "preferred, more socially valid" formal form of the
language versus a lower, everyday conversational form of the language.
In some cases, the "high" and "low" forms are even separate languages,
as in France where French was the low form and Latin the high form during
the Dark Ages. And "ahnkuttie" is a word in the jargon. In the future
I will refer to generic vs. Grand Ronde if that is more comfortable for
people.

Right now, it iooks like Jim and I are going to try and work with some
buckskinners, once the fire season is over and the contact
person gets back to us. Our contact person speaks jargon, "generic", not
"GR", and has some fellow buckskinners who are interested
in learning. From what I have been able to determine, they are interested
in a class, maybe lessons, and if we can put something together we may
be able to broaden the language base to include people who are likely to
practice it at home with family and use it to develop fluency.

nadja