Anyone out here?

Lisa M Peppan lisapeppan at JUNO.COM
Wed Sep 20 22:00:08 UTC 2000

<raising hand>  I'm here.

I don't know that I'd call it "war" persay, but rather a "lively debate".

For what it's worth, the way my mother remembers her grandfather
pronouncing "Klahowya" is claw-HOY-yah.  He was a carpenter who travel
extensively between Idaho, Washington, and California, with his growing
family in a covered wagon in the late 1800s.

And when I was in Germany, there were the local dialects and then there
was High German..  In the Schwabisch dialect Yes was something that
sounded a lot like "Hi-yo" and No was "Noi", where as in High German Yes
is "Ja" and "No" is Nein.

I believe that with the Jargon, we're dealing with much the same thing --
regional differences, with the differences influenced by the predominant
local language.

Lisa my-computer-crashed-again Peppan