Anyone out here?

terry glavin transmontanus at GULFISLANDS.COM
Thu Sep 21 09:26:04 UTC 2000

hang in there, nadja.

i'm sorry i missed the LuLu. i find this a really interesting debate. i
don't mind thinking of Grande Ronde as a sort of "high wawa." "aunkuttie"
sounds fine for "low speakers," too. my only thoughts are that lelang as it
was used throughout the northwest served purposes that would be defeated, it
seems to me, by conformity to orthographic conventions or "proper"
pronunciations. it was fluid, like all language.

 i have found myself referring to it as lelang. this is because i am no
doubt influenced by lejeune's work, and i'm particularly smitten by the way
wawa and aboriginal languages have always done interesting things with
french words (in chilcotin country, for instance, "pillip pateece," whose
grandson ended up known as philip baptstick, derived his name from philipe
baptiste; the charleyboy family began as charlesbois, etc.), and also
informed (being kinchotch) that my own country sprang from what john ralston
saul calls the "triangular foundation" of aboriginal, french and english
societies; the french plinth in that foundation is very important to me (as
an old fashioned canadian), and the french influence in lelang persisted
more vigorously up here than below the 49th, anyway (was that a long and
complicated sentence or what).

so i like lelang. and if anyone wants to say wa-pay-to instead of waPAHto,
that's fine by me too (see separate post).