We're seeing a key problem: Lack of explicit connection between "ahnkuttie" and Grand Ronde materials

Dave Robertson tuktiwawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Tue Sep 26 05:07:31 UTC 2000

I'm getting pretty long-winded these days, huh?  Must be from taking up
running.

Hey, it seems to me that we're coming to realize an important issue in our
ongoing discussions of the relative merits of the varieties of Chinuk Wawa.

So far nobody has assembled Grand Ronde data together with the older, more
widely known materials.  When you two are putting together the dictionary,
Henry and Tony, I know that you are concerned with including an etymology
for each word, to show which language it came from originally.  Maybe it's
important (for purposes of teaching outside of Sawash Ili7i) to include the
well-known older spellings of each word as well.

You can thank me later for volunteering you for the extra work :-), or
justifiably tell me to do it myself if I think it's such a good idea.  But I
do see in this approach a potentially neat bridge between the the older and
the newer information available on Chinook Jargon.  Qhata mEsayka tEmtEm?

My question would be where to draw the limit, which older forms to include
or exclude.  Eula Petite's system for writing her language deserves
inclusion as much as Shaw's or Gibbs'.  (You guys are making use of some of
her innovations, apparently, in the pronunciation shown for some of the
words in the dictionary.)

Dave