We're seeing a key problem: Lack of explicit connection between "ahnkuttie" and Grand Ronde materials

Nadja Adolf nadja at NODE.COM
Tue Sep 26 19:39:23 UTC 2000

	From: Dave Robertson <tuktiwawa at NETSCAPE.NET>

	Hey, it seems to me that we're coming to realize an important issue
	in our ongoing discussions of the relative merits of the varieties
	of Chinuk Wawa.

	So far nobody has assembled Grand Ronde data together with the older,
	more widely known materials.  When you two are putting together the
	dictionary, Henry and Tony, I know that you are concerned with
	including an etymology for each word, to show which language it came
	from originally.  Maybe it's important (for purposes of teaching
	outside of Sawash Ili7i) to include the well-known older spellings of
	each word as well.

	You can thank me later for volunteering you for the extra work :-), or
	justifiably tell me to do it myself if I think it's such a good idea.
	But I do see in this approach a potentially neat bridge between the
	the older and the newer information available on Chinook Jargon.

I also volunteer to help with this; especially since I've been keying the
words from Henry's dissertation to Gibbs, et al, to Jim's work, and to what
samples I have from the conference of the dictionary Henry and Tony are
working on. I've been spending a little time here and there since I got
back from the conference doing this and it has been most illuminating.

nadja