Leschi & "no English except a few CJ words"!

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Wed Apr 11 00:33:20 UTC 2001

[My apologies; I lost the URL this came from also. -- Dave]

In appearance Leschi was of medium height at 5'7" with strong, heavy shoulders and the slender features of his Yakama blood:
  A firm jaw, aquiline nose and deep-set brown eyes under a sloping high forehead. As an adult, Leschi was recognized for his
  intelligence and superb oratorical skills. Having a strong sense of wisdom, he was often called upon to arbitrate and settle
  disputes within the tribe. He learned to speak both the Sahaptin and Salish languages, but never learned English except for a few
  words in Chinook jargon.