Jones,Robert F. (ed.) “Annals of Astoria" ( 1stmsg)

Alan H. Hartley ahartley at D.UMN.EDU
Sat Dec 29 00:17:20 UTC 2001

> Sauteaux is one label for
> Ojibwe, and Knistineaux is the common older term for Cree -- and Ojibwe and
> Cree are such closely related Algonquian languages that they shade one into
> another through a chain of dialects

Knistineaux, in its Old Algonquin form kirishtino:, is the etymon of
"Cree". Cree and Ojibway are quite distinct languages, and I don't
believe they really occupy ends of a dialect continuum. For the
Saulteaux, see http://www.d.umn.edu/~ahartley/SAULTEAUX.html

> Page 27:  <Hyquo(y)as> and other spellings:  “…a…nation called the Culewits
> [Quileutes] …kill a great many Beaver & dispose of them…to the Neweetians
> [Nootkans] for Hyquoyas, etc.”

The Nuwitti are a subdivision of the Kwakiutl residing on northwestern
Vancouver Island.