Neweetie...was...RE: Re: Jones,Robert F. (ed.) “Annals ofAstoria" ( 1stmsg)

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Sat Dec 29 07:20:11 UTC 2001

Thank you, Alan,

And thanks to any of you with more Algonquian than I can muster.  As to the second point in your message, I note on page 28, footnote 65 in Jones' edition the following:  "Neweetie was a village located on Templar Channel of Clayoquot Sound, on the west coast of Vancouver Island; see Ross Cox, 'The Columbia River'...Thus, 'Neweetians' means the Nootka Indians who lived there; these were the Indians who attacked the _Tonquin_..."

Whether Kwakiutl or Nootkan, the 'Neweetians' and Chinookans apparently made some highly impressive voyages to trade with one another, if the record in "Annals of Astoria" is to be relied on.

-- Dave

--
"Asking a linguist how many languages she knows is like asking a doctor how many diseases he has!" -- anonymous