New Link: Lower Chinook Ethnographic Notes

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at QWEST.NET
Sun Jul 8 01:20:24 UTC 2001

Well, I probably shouldn't have brought up copasetic again, as its
Jargon origin is almost certainly myth, but I couldn't help making
mention of my discovery that there was some established misconception
about it out there (i.e., I hadn't confabulated it entirely).

While browsing around the online collection of the UW libraries, I
ran across a paper which I had overlooked earlier--Verne Ray's 1934
Lower Chinook Ethnographic Notes (UW Pubs in Anthropology).  I
occasionally get inquiries about traditional/historic Chinook life,
and detailed online material is scarce, so this seemed like a good
resource to add to my links page.  It appears comprehensive and
thoughtfully done, though he had access to only a couple of sources
at the time:

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cgi-bin/htmldoc.exe?CISOROOT=/lctext&CISOPTR=1585

(Melville Jacobs' Texts in Chinook Jargon is available there, too: )

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cgi-bin/htmldoc.exe?CISOROOT=/lctext&CISOPTR=1584

Regards,

Jeff