about a new friend of ours

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Thu Jul 26 19:41:47 UTC 2001

Klahowya, Terry,

Thanks for the quote.  There's a bit more about the 'broken Slavey', 'jargon Loucheux', and other northern contact media, in the Arctic pidgins volume that also contains William Samarin's speculative article on an Arctic origin for Chinook Jargon.

Nesika chee Bictoli sikhs can join the CHINOOK list via our archives website at http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html.  If she has any difficulties, please ask her to email me, and I'll add her to the list myself.

Kloshe sun,

Dave

terry glavin <transmontanus at GULFISLANDS.COM> wrote:

>this is from a chee bictoli siks:
>
>Found a reference to trade language at Fort Yukon in the 1860's! - they called it Broken Slave. "It is a language which has that name perhaps from the preponderance of Slave words in it; but it is composed of  English, French, Cree and Loucheux, besides Slave.  It is a most extraordinary language in its way: the number of words in it is very limited.  It is used by the officers and the servants of the Company in their ordinary intercourse with the Indians, and it serves very well for common purposes.  Most of the young men among the Indians speak it."   R. McDonald (Anglican Minister at Fort Yukon) 1863.
>
>nesika chee siks, yaka mamook skookum yiem. yaka mamook hyas kloshe tzum pe kloshe shantie, pe yaka hyas tikegh lelang.
>
>but but i've forgotten how to "sign up" with this listserv, so i don't know what to tell her.
>
>please advise.

"Asking a linguist how many languages she knows is like asking a doctor how many diseases he has!" -- anonymous