Slave(y) Jargon (was RE: Re: about a new friend of ours)

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Fri Jul 27 00:24:33 UTC 2001

LaXayEm, Dave,

Those references you mention could be of tremendous interest to students of NW North American contact languages.  Do you have cites handy?

The language or languages in question, however, if identical to Rev. McDonald's 'Broken Slave', aren't Chinook Jargon at all, but pidgins based on Athapaskan languages.  Chief among these would be the language variously referred to as Slavey, Slave (as in Great Slave Lake), Slave' (with an acute accent mark), and so forth.  'Jargon Loucheux', if memory serves, is based on the Kutchin Athapaskan language.

Here are three links that I suggest to those interested in the subject:

www.svs.is/stefansson/ste/oktober1910.htm
www.yukoncollege.yk.ca/ynlc/YNLCinfo/Catalog.html
www.ling.su.se/Creole/hotel/Arctic_Pidgins.html

Lhush hay-kEmtEks!

Dave

--
"Asking a linguist how many languages she knows is like asking a doctor how many diseases he has!" -- anonymous