[Fwd: ] Kipling

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Mon Mar 19 05:19:17 UTC 2001

...On a quick reread of the book, I find mention only of a Flathead Salish man Kipling encountered on his way to Yellowstone...Dave

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 13:39:07 -0400
From: Dell Hymes <dhh4d at cstone.net>
To: TuktiWawa at netscape.net

Thanks  very much to Dave for the bit about Kipling, and to Mike for his
comment on it.

As it happens, I picked up a small book about Kipling, cheap, in a local
bookstore
a couple of weeks ago.  And was amazed to learn of all the places he got to.
Including upper New York State, as I recall.
But I don't think it mentioned the Columbia, let alone the Clackamas!
Evidently  "From Sea to Sea', vol. 2, doesn't mention any Native Americans?
    Though there might well have been soon in salmon season along the
rivers.

    Dell