[Fwd: CJ variation]

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Mon Mar 19 06:04:39 UTC 2001

Dave Robertson wrote:

> [...]

That's the basic gist of all my comments/complaints about this issue;
what really set me off was last summer's presentation by Jim and Henry
about a prescribed way for Bostons to "correctly" render Jargon a la
Indian; i.e. to "sound better".  In respect to Dave's comments about Z.
Vrzic's comments, I note that the example he gave (the continuative use
of "hiyu", for example) was not about the supposedly "consistent
phonology" of Native speakers, but rather about syntax and ideom
(idiom?); while there may have been a relatively consistent
syntactical/idiomatic usage across the region, at least in modes of
development/formation if not lexical consistency - probably shared by
non-Native speakers, I might add - there remains zilch in the way of
"proof" that people speaking Kamloops Wawa sounded very much at all like
people speaking Grand Ronde/Lower Columbia Wawa, or Warm Springs Wawa,
or Lower Mainland-Georgia Straits Wawa, sounded anything like each
other, except to say that they probably spoke it influenced by the
phonologies of their native languages; be that Nlaka'pamux or Swedish or
Chinese......all this looking for "real Jargon" in the way Natives used
it, supposedly in a "better" fashion than non-Natives, seems pure
poppycock, and again has more than a taint of ethnic exclusivism to
it.....

MC