<6 degrees of separation: Debora Iyall & Chinook Jargon

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Wed May 2 07:11:58 UTC 2001

ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU wrote:

> Klahowya!
>
> Please read the subject line as "Less than six degrees..."
>
> This email is another that emerged from frivolity into edification.
>
> New Wave singer Debora Iyall, of the San Francisco band Romeo Void, is
> descended from the Cowlitz tribe of Washington State.
>
> The Iyalls are apparently one of the major Cowlitz families.  (When
> Mildred[?] Iyall of the Coeur d'Alene tribe died this winter, I wondered
> whether she was related to Debora.  In the 1980's, MTV would mention from
> time to time that Debora was "from Spokane, WA".)
>
> At any rate, I'm guessing that this musician is closer to Chinook Jargon
> than 6 degrees of separation.  It'd probably take just one link.
>
> I'll now post a separate message about Cowlitz people and the Jargon, to
> atone for my lollygagging.  I've got boogobs of info for you.

Boogobs?  Which dialect of English is that?  Spokanese?

Sounds like you're subliminally guilty about "lollygagging" over Debora
Iyall, who I hope might be at least flattered for your appreciation, if
only she knew.  Only having MuchMusic instead of MTV, I don't think I've
ever seen her, as if I watched MuchMusic at all (it's far better than
MTV, but that's not saying much); but the TV pop lists are pretty
different on either side of the border.  What do you mean by "New Wave";
was she around in the early '80s or is this a postmod rehash of same?

I'd say the Cowlitz connection qualifies as around 2 degrees of
separation; 1) she's Cowlitz and 2) the Jargon was known to the
Cowlitz.  It's a one degree of separation if she _knows_ some
Jargon.....

MC