<6 degrees of separation: Debora Iyall & Chinook Jargon

The McDonald Family mcdonald at ISN.NET
Wed May 2 13:58:10 UTC 2001

At 12:11 AM 5/2/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU wrote:
>>
>> Klahowya!
>>
>> Please read the subject line as "Less than six degrees..."
>>
>> This email is another that emerged from frivolity into edification.
>>
>> New Wave singer Debora Iyall, of the San Francisco band Romeo Void, is
>> descended from the Cowlitz tribe of Washington State.
>>
>> The Iyalls are apparently one of the major Cowlitz families.  (When
>> Mildred[?] Iyall of the Coeur d'Alene tribe died this winter, I wondered
>> whether she was related to Debora.  In the 1980's, MTV would mention from
>> time to time that Debora was "from Spokane, WA".)
>>
>> At any rate, I'm guessing that this musician is closer to Chinook Jargon
>> than 6 degrees of separation.  It'd probably take just one link.
>>
>> I'll now post a separate message about Cowlitz people and the Jargon, to
>> atone for my lollygagging.  I've got boogobs of info for you.
>
>Boogobs?  Which dialect of English is that?  Spokanese?
>
>Sounds like you're subliminally guilty about "lollygagging" over Debora
>Iyall, who I hope might be at least flattered for your appreciation, if
>only she knew.  Only having MuchMusic instead of MTV, I don't think I've
>ever seen her, as if I watched MuchMusic at all (it's far better than
>MTV, but that's not saying much); but the TV pop lists are pretty
>different on either side of the border.  What do you mean by "New Wave";
>was she around in the early '80s or is this a postmod rehash of same?

I saw the video of "Never Say Never" on an 80's weekend on Muchmoremusic.
Basically, Romeo Void was an early 1980's group that played pop music with a
punk edge to it, hence New Wave. Blondie and early U2 were also New Wave, if
that means anything.

>[deletia]
>
>MC

Later,