Mountain Beaver & Jargon & Chehalis & ... ?

terry glavin transmontanus at GULFISLANDS.COM
Thu May 3 04:06:32 UTC 2001

partly inspired by this thread, i'm just about to write my fortnightly
chronicles column about the beast, also known as a ground bear, two
subspecies of which exist in british columbia. it's a cat-like, marmot-like,
wholly unique thing that exists in an evolutionary cul-de-sac. it's a living
fossil. it's taxonomy's oldest rodent - a contemporary of north american
camels and sloths.

it does look a bit like a beaver, without a tail. nobody is making this up,
mike - but give yourself a break: at first i shared your consternation with
the subject, and i thought i knew a few things about wildlife in the
rainforest. everybody knows about the spotted owl and the marbled murrelet.
their glamorous. some people know about the pacific giant salamander, but
very few people are aware of the boomer. it spends most of its life
underground, and it tends to come out of its burrow colonies only at night.
i've found two naturalists in b.c. who have worked on the animal's life
history and range (limited to an area confined by an
abbotsford-hedley-merritt triangle).

i'll post my column here when it's done.

cheers.