Mountain Beaver & Jargon & Chehalis & ... ?

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Fri May 4 07:02:28 UTC 2001

janilta wrote:

> Hello, Mike,
>
> Well indeed, I guess we have also many 'onomatopaeic names for animals'
> in French too. The one that crosses my mind now is 'le coucou' (cuckoo).
> It might be the case for Canadian animals (completely unknow to us) as
> 'ouaouaron' (kind of big frog) f ex.

Of course; I should have thought of 'coucou', having sung enough
renaissance madrigals about the damn little things.  I'm wondering if
"cochon" might also be onomatopaeic; sounds kind of like a pig-snuffle,
don't you think?

What's the term for naming something according to _how_ it sounds, e.g.
English "loon", a bird that sounds like a lunatic.....

MC